Have you considered our Gateway programme for next year?
The Gateway Programme at Whangaparaoa College provides structured workplace learning for students who have an idea of a possible future job or career they wish to explore.
The programme offers senior learners 10 days of unpaid work experience (one day per week) to go hand in hand with studying industry-related credits towards NCEA qualifications and a Vocational Pathway.
Gateway class-based unit standards help learners build their skills for employment. Assessments such as:
Learners will also complete a Health & Safety course worth 12 credits.
- Produce a Personal Targeted CV
- Develop a Plan to Achieve a Long-Term Personal Financial Goal
- Interview in Informal Situations
Following the completion of the Gateway programme there are a variety of future pathways our learners can follow; NCEA Level 3, tertiary study, full or part-time work and apprenticeships.
This is an exciting opportunity for learners to get a taste of an industry and to determine if they are interested in pursuing a particular career path in the future.
The industry choices can be wide and varied. Some examples:
- Animal Care
- Aviation (Pilots & Engineering)
- Building & Construction
- Business Administration
- Education (including Early Childhood)
- Event Management
- Furniture & Joinery
- Beauty Therapy
- Hospitality (including Chefing)
- Motor Industries
- Printing & Design
- Public Sector (including Customs, Fire, NZDF, Police)
- Sport & Recreation
- Tourism (including Hotel Management)
- Credits count towards NCEA Record of Learning
- Work placements are to be sourced by learners as part of their work ready development.
- Up to 50 Placements available in 2021 for senior learners
- Selection by interview
- Run in classes as an option line
Please contact Sue McKay if you have any questions about the Gateway Program
424 9177 ext. 238 suem[email protected]
Applications for Gateway 2022 are not open yet. More details to come.
Please click here for the: Application Form