Have you considered our Gateway Programme?
The Gateway Programme at Whangaparāoa College provides students with the opportunity to experience structured workplace learning in a career area they wish to explore.
The programme offers senior learners up to 10 days of (unpaid) work experience along with studying industry-related NCEA credits, laying a strong foundation for their future pathway – whether that be further study, full-time work or an apprenticeship.
Gateway class-based learning is a mix of compulsory and individually chosen assessments to help learners build their skills for employment, such as:
- Plan a career pathway
- Produce a CV
- Interview in informal situations
- Develop a plan to achieve a long-term personal financial goal
All Gateway students also complete a 2 day Health and Safety course with the opportunity to gain 15 x Level 3 credits.
Gateway is an exciting opportunity to get a taste of a workplace and determine if they are interested in pursuing a particular career path in the future. Industry choices are varied, some examples are:
- Education – early childhood, primary, secondary
- Building & Construction
- Sport & Recreation
- Hairdressing / Barbering
- Motor Industry
- Travel & Tourism / Hotel Management
- Animal Care
- Gateway is run in classes as an option line
- Credits earned count towards NCEA
- Learners are encouraged to source their own work placements as part of their work-ready development
- Limited places available for Year 12 & 13 students
- Selection is by interview
There are also a small number of places available for students, who do not have a subject line available for Gateway, to complete a course and work placement only. Please contact us if you wish to discuss this option.
Please contact Roxanne Mulvaney if you have any questions about the Gateway Programme
09 424 9177 ext. 268 firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications for Gateway 2023 are open now.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY