Year 7 and 8 learners have a separate program to that of Year 9 to 13 learners. However, there are 4 weekly competitions that they may enter - Netball, Basketball, Hockey and Waterpolo. Trials for these sports begin in term 1 and teams are determined from attendance at training and in some cases trials.
Zone Days are a one day inter-school competition. Whangaparāoa College is in the North Harbour zone which includes all intermediate schools from the Auckland harbour bridge to Warkworth.
- Year 7 and 8 learners can express an interest to participate in as many zone days as they wish. Selection will be dependent upon attendance at trainings and trials.
- Learners are expected to attend trainings in the weeks leading up to the competition day.
- Estimated Zone Day cost $15.
- Registration for Zone Days takes place around 4 weeks prior to competition day.
- Parent help is appreciated, either as coach, manager, driver.
- Uniform will be PE gear or uniform as provided.
- Please refer to the calendar for Zone day dates. These dates are subject to change at any time dependent on numbers for teams and volunteer help.
Register your interest for Zone Days. Form to come soon.
The AIMS Games is a week long sports tournament held in Tauranga around the first week in September. The games have grown from 760 competitors from 17 schools in 2004 to over 8000 competitors from over 260 schools in 2015.
This tournament gives 11, 12 and 13 year olds (Years 7 and 8) an opportunity to compete as an individual or in a team against the best of their age group in 20 different sports. The AIMS Games give learners a chance to compete at an elite level, be active, celebrate fair play and enjoy success. To qualify for AIMS Games learners must be playing their sport on a weekly basis through the season for the school. In some cases trials will be necessary to select teams.
Teams will usually travel to Tauranga with coaches, managers, parent volunteers and stay in accommodation arranged by the school.
Estimated cost: $550 to $650.
Sports Camp 2022
During Sports Camp week learners will compete against 8 other schools in over 30 different sports including:
Venue: Totara Springs, Matamata
Date: 5 to 8 July
Estimated cost: $350 to $375