The Performing Arts at Whangaparaoa College aim to cover a variety of Performance and Viewing opportunities across a range of genre in Drama, Music, Art, and Dance.
We want to focus on participation and excellence in Performance. During 2007 we have the following on offer in the Performing Arts Department.
• A Senior and Junior Drama Troupe who perform at various times throughout the year using various genre, in various settings.
• A variety of bands: Loud and Proud, Jazz Band, Concert Band and Flute Choir. These bands perform at various times throughout the year and also in the community. They also compete in the KBB Music Festival.
• Learners involved in Itinerant Music programmes which cover a range of instrument and voice classes.
• Several school Rock Bands who perform at Secondary Schools Rock Quest.
• Two school choirs, general and specialist who perform at various times throughout the year and in the community. Specialist will compete in the Big Sing competition.
• Dance tuition in a variety of genre will be offered starting in mid – 2007.
• Dance Troupe
• Each alternate year we will be performing a large School Musical Production.
• In other years we will participate in the Secondary Schools Stage Challenge competition and perform an alternative full School Drama Production.
• We are venturing in to beginning a School TV and Radio Station.
• High emphasis on various Performance groups visiting our school e.g. Ugly Shakespeare Company and Strike.
• Hiring out the Theatre complex to outside community groups. This is coordinated by our Theatre Manager.
• Many opportunities for learners to learn the technical side of theatre.
• A fully trained theatre technician employed part time at the College.